About this Blog

While sitting around having coffee with a friend of mine, Jim Headley, the subject of the Fort Ground Tavern's remodel came up. We talked about this establishment and how our lives had been touched by its history. One thing led to another and before long Jim was talking about the various bars that had been in Coeur d'Alene, and I began to write them down.

The rich memories that are dug up when we talk about these establishments always bring smiles and far off stares. We cannot for loose this bit of our past, so I have established this blog to try to document this information before it is lost for ever.

The posts are in no particular order. I will post new watering holes when I get pictures or historical information about the location. Photos have been taken off other web sites and reposted here. I have established a 20 mile radius of the Cd'A area and will post any drinking establishment that resides within that circle. If you feel any images here are published without permission or violate any copyright, please contact me and they will be promptly removed.

As you read through, or look at the photos, feel free to comment. If you have a digital photo and would like to share it, email it to canyonwren@roadrunner.com and I will post it and give you credit. Contact me if you have a bar photo, but don’t have a scanner and I will help you digitize it. Take a moment and write down a memory and together we can collect the History of the Bars of Coeur d'Alene. If the bar or tavern you frequented is not listed in the blog, visit my map of the Bars of Cd’A and see if it is posted there.

Other Important Information

7/18/2009

The Fish Inn








18 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for the pictures of The Fish Inn, It was a great place, We stayed in the campground for six months back in 1981 sorry to hear it burned down. I want to go back and visit again some day.

    Andy G.

    Clinton,WI

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to do a scale model of this place , ( Fish Inn ) contact me at the Model Builders.com ......... scrubba

    ReplyDelete
  3. My folks managed the fish for several years, cut a large door in the side of it and had an out side bar with live music on the week-ends,the band( The Normal Fishing Tackle Band )got started there. 2 to 3 hundred people on the week-ends was common. Jack and Jan were often seen playing Pac-Man in the corner...Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan -- Steve E.here. Founding member Normal Fishing Tackle Band. Of all my musical career (and it continues to this day) no experience comes even close to those years with Jack & Jan, The Fish and all those great NFTB followers. Jerry H. is still in CdA, owns a marine upholstery/sail business. He has a trove of NFTB and Fish Inn memoranilia

      Delete
    2. Janie Holmes13/1/16 1:06 PM

      Hi Steve. I don't know if you will see this, but I can only hope. I'm sorry to tell you, but Jerry died last night. It was unexpected and we're all just trying to cope. I just knew you'd want to know.

      Delete
    3. Hi there,
      Do you happen to know who owned the Fish Inn when it burned down?

      Delete
  4. Anyone know why they didn't rebuild when it burned down?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Burned down! Darn! A friend and I happened a long that place in 1974 when riding our bicycles from Seattle to Coeur d'Alene. We were planning a road trip, by car, this summer and wanted to go there :( oh wel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish they had rebuilt it right after it burned down. It the first tavern I got to go in under 21 years of age. Had the best music, food and pop. Oh also a great designer must have drawn the blue prints.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The man that built the Fish Inn (originally a gas station on old hiway 10 now interstate 90) also built the Miners Hat in Kellogg and the Boat in Smelterville. John and Annie Roberts owned it when it burned down. A friend and I set melted bottles on the bar that was still standing after the fire. The CDA press has pictures after the fire with the bottles on the bar. A very sad day it was, I cant remember the exact year it went up in flames, mid to late 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim in Seattle15/5/15 2:25 PM

    I remember drinking waterfalls at the fish on my 25th birthday. Beer and schnapps one over the other in shot glasses.
    Never before and never since. A one of a kind place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We spent a lot of time at the fish inn and had a small fotune in dollar bills on the walls. So many fond memories! The music, food and people will always leave a lasting impression. Just wish I still had all of the photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to reply. It has been years since I have been to the fish and 2 bring up the pic brought back memories. Thanks

      Delete
  10. Janie Holmes13/1/16 1:03 PM

    For those of you who remember the Normal Fishing Tackle Band, I have sad news to share. My brother Jerry died unexpectedly last night and my heart is broken. His music will play in my head forever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the Fish Inn. That was the only tavern I could go into under the age of 18. The dirty music and billiard table. I'm not surprised it burned down with all of those dollar bills hanging on the ceiling and walls. I say, " rebuild the Fish Inn."

    ReplyDelete
  12. My ex and I stopped in here back in '93. The folks at the bar were leery of us at first with my old man covered in tattoos and me with rings in my nose (and other places). I heard someone mutter "California" under his breath. Turned out to be a really fun night.

    Had trouble finding any info on this place as I thought it was shaped like a whale! Sorry it burned down. Wish there were more pics available.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anybody who used to go there know people named pete and tootie? I found a dollar bill with their names and 'i havent lived until the fish inn.' Signed ruth 11/10/90. Staple holes included. Ive never heard of the fish in until i found this bill. And now finding out it burnt down maked me want to find these people

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fritz's corner was on the SE corner of 2nd and Sherman.

    ReplyDelete