About this Blog

While sitting around having coffee with a friend of mine, Jim Headley, the subject of the Fort Ground Tavern's remodel came up. We talked about this establishment and how our lives had been touched by its history. One thing led to another and before long Jim was talking about the various bars that had been in Coeur d'Alene, and I began to write them down.

The rich memories that are dug up when we talk about these establishments always bring smiles and far off stares. We cannot for loose this bit of our past, so I have established this blog to try to document this information before it is lost for ever.

The posts are in no particular order. I will post new watering holes when I get pictures or historical information about the location. Photos have been taken off other web sites and reposted here. I have established a 20 mile radius of the Cd'A area and will post any drinking establishment that resides within that circle. If you feel any images here are published without permission or violate any copyright, please contact me and they will be promptly removed.

As you read through, or look at the photos, feel free to comment. If you have a digital photo and would like to share it, email it to canyonwren@roadrunner.com and I will post it and give you credit. Contact me if you have a bar photo, but don’t have a scanner and I will help you digitize it. Take a moment and write down a memory and together we can collect the History of the Bars of Coeur d'Alene. If the bar or tavern you frequented is not listed in the blog, visit my map of the Bars of Cd’A and see if it is posted there.

Other Important Information

7/18/2009

The Sourdough Club











Match book, menu and
advertising provided by Matt McCormick.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Dean is the Sourdough Club still in operation? My mother and I went to a restaurant in the early 60's.The entrance was a mine shaft. It was called the Sourdough Inn.Is this the same place? If so,where is it located? Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, It is not there any more..It was a great place...I'm happy you got to enjoy the place.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad owned the Sourdough 1954-1969. It closed a couple of years after that. It was an awesome place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be the progeny of Jeanne and Norm Goede! When I was a child, growing up in Calgary Alberta in the 50's our family used to drive to Coeur d'Alene so that my father, Art Bradshaw, could play the organ and piano in the evening for entertainment. In exchange, we were given a cabin (?). They were wonderful times, and the Goedes were super folks. Good memories!
      Dianne Bradshaw (now living in Montreal)

      Delete
  4. Where's Peabodys and the Cotton Club? Too many great momories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly they are both gone! Lots of good times in both those places!!

      Delete
  5. I remember a special dinner when I was a boy in the late 1950s. We went to the Sourdough and I was, of course fascinated with the mine entrance. I had the spaghetti. Another place I have fond memories of is the Red Rooster Smorgesborg, at State Line. I think my folks liked to take us to these Idaho bars because children (minors) were allowed with adults. Another place I remember was Curley's, I think in Hauser. Does anyone recall these places? Oh, and the original Paul Bunyan burger joint, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curly's is still there! Bigger and better, I suppose! Also Paul Bunyan is still in CoeurdAlene and one in Post Falls also but the one in Cda is original. This area has changed so much! Not the same at all anymore! All the famous landmarks are gone!

      Delete
  6. Sondra Creed20/1/15 12:31 AM

    All the information here is great! I just took the most memorable walk back in time. The map of the area is amazing! Brings back the best and happiest memories of my life. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found an ashtray from the Sourdough in a box of stuff from an auction. When looking it up online, I found your comments.Sounds like it was a pretty cool place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely!

    ReplyDelete